Monday, August 9, 2010

Big Changes, Mixed Emotions

I've got to admit that I am entering the new school year with mixed emotions.  This summer was a MUCH needed break for me.  I only continued to teach about one day a week this summer, so it was nice to have more time for other things (like songwriting, scheduling appointments, working on all things Evidence (my singing group), and cleaning my house).  Every break, I always have a list of projects I want to get done, and I never get to them all.  But dents have been made.  Appointments have been met.  Family has vacationed.  Songs have been written.

Now it's time to really focus on the nitty gritty of the school year ahead and I'm still working through the emotion of having to put these other things aside, though our vacation bags aren't yet unpacked. 

At the same time, it's always exciting to start a new semester.  I do enjoy the scholarly air of fall and the crispness of a freshly printed course syllabus.  New music for SCC Singers (the community choir I direct) and a whole new group of voices to explore.  The challenge of gently turning the minds of new students who enter Music Appreciation believing Classical music is boring and dull, yet leave with an understanding, appreciation, and even passion for the powerful music that has dominated the Western world for over 400 years.  That's rewarding.

This school year brings about a big change in the Thorn household, too, because both Isaac and Grace will be in school ALL DAY LONG.  We're talking leave for the bus at 8AM and come home at 4PM.  That's soooooo long!  Baby Elijah won't know what to do with himself all day.  And Chris and I will have to make sure to spend quality time with them between the hours of 4 and 8PM each day (when we're home, that is!).  Big changes, indeed.

I am thankful that amidst all of the transition and change, we can count on the One who is unchanging.  It's such a comfort to know that God is good, God has plans for me and for my family, and He is completely in control over every harried detail of my life.  So what if my projects didn't get done?  His purpose in my life is so much bigger.  And that's worth getting excited about.

Grace and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment